Thursday, October 13, 2011

Cabernet Sorbet

Southern California has been an experience. I've learned alot about organic produce, wine and seasonal cooking just by frequenting the farmers markets and listening to locals talk. 
Growing up, my Mom loved cooking with wine, but we never really had a keen understanding of what pairings went with what until many experiments later. The advent of FOODTV helped alot, too. 
This is a recipe experiment that Stephen went crazy over:
Cabernet Sauvignon is a full-bodied, rich red wine  that goes amazing with beef, lamb and heartier cheeses or sauces. It is an insanely delicious pairing with dark chocolate. And since I had some dark chocolate around and some wine from the night before that I wanted to use up, I raided the farmer's market for some dark berries and went to town with my new Cuisinart ice-cream maker.
I'm not a fancy girl. I'm a broke artist. It's usually Trader Joes or Bevmo for my wine needs. But, I happened to have a nice local wine for this recipe (Ravenswood). I am betting any decent Cabernet or Merlot would work here.  Maybe I just liked how Cabernet rhymed with sorbet.  I adapted this diddy
 from a vegan ice cream recipe I once saw on David Leibovitz's blog.

Cabernet Sorbet
1 1/2 pounds( good bit) fresh berries, rinsed and groomed 
1/2 cup sugar or agave nectar  
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 cups of plain rice milk
a few splashes of fresh lemon juice
One cup of wine to taste (some for me, some for the sorbet)
*Some mint for garnish. The mint pictured here was Chocolate Mint grown locally in Riverside, CA. 

Blend all ingredients in a blender or food processor (except garnish) and refrigerate for an hour until chilled well. Pour into ice cream maker and serve immediately. If storing, give a few minutes to retexturize before you serve, 'cuz it'll get a bit granita-ish, because of it's water content. 

4 comments:

Christie :) said...

You MADE this?!?! Wow, Tam, it looks amazing!!! It looks so... professional!

I made watermelon sorbet about a month ago, and Chris LOVED it. Even when a tad bit sat at the bottom of our freezer for about a month and I resurrected it, it was still quite good!

Little Nova said...

WATERMELON MINT GRANITA!!!!!!!!!
Soooooooooo gooooooooooood.

Mel said...

I seriously thought I was looking at a Food and Wine cover....

Little Nova said...

<3 ! Compliment coming from a big-time blogger such as yourself, Mel! I'm a fan!