Sunday, May 19, 2013

Pollo Guisado



Making a lovely Pollo Guisado in the Le Creuset over steamed rice. Stephen is serving up the Strongbows on ice and we are going to take in this lovely sunset. Life is bueno.

A little recipe I learned from my Gram. 

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh, that looks yum! Do you have a recipe of sorts for it, or just instructions or something? Am making chicken this week, and that looks amazing!! If you could e-mail me some basic steps, I would love to try it! Of course I don't have one of those fancy pots (Man, gotta get one of those! Why didn't you pass down your wisdom to me and advise me to register for one of those?? ;) ), so would it still work in a mediocre pot? ;)

-C

Little Nova said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Little Nova said...

This is ridiculously easy. I make it a lot...It's a crutch meal. My mom used to make it a lot... It's like a PR staple.

You just:

—Brown some seasoned chicken parts in a pot (take most of skin off, leave bones?) with olive oil, onions and garlic.

—Add some chopped carrots and peeled and quartered potatoes until coated with oil, sautéed and fragrant with chicken.

—Deglaze bottom of pot with a little balsamic/wine and stewed tomatoes.

—Add in the Sofrito con Culantro (SAZON packet) or some fresh recaito and safron...But, in a pinch, you could add green peppers, a little cilantro or cumin or any other seasoning you like. (Saffron gives it the lovely color, though) I also add chopped green stuffed olives here.

—Give it a nice toss until bubbling. About 10 min. Transfer pot to oven and bake for 2 hours at about 325 degrees or so until meat is falling apart and sauce thickens.

We pour it over white steamed rice or brown rice. It's so easy!

Little Nova said...

At the end, if I don't do olives, sometimes I add fresh green peas.