Monday, March 25, 2013

Winner, Winner Chicken Dinner


This is so yummy. On my healthy eating kick and not really losing tons of weight but, feeling pretty good. This dish is probably just another variation of other pasta dishes I do, but the balsamic and fresh herbs gives it something extra and it's like a REBOOT with healthier ingredients. It was done in 40 minutes (15 of which I was doing laundry) and I'm a happy camper.

Calorie Count is around 600 calories for a decent portion. 


Balsamic Chicken Primavera
Ingredients
1/2 eggplant cut into small pieces
1 zucchini cut into small pieces
2 chicken breasts
1/2 can diced tomatoes 
1 onion chopped
1 pepper chopped
fresh or frozen garden peas (1/4 cup)
2 cloves of garlic minced
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp of olive oil
fresh herbs
(I'm currently growing oregano and rosemary)
whole grain pasta

Double Glaze for pasta
1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar
1-2 tsp of olive oil
1 clove of garlic smashed
1 small pat of real butter


Directions
Slice chicken breasts into 1/2 " filets... or the size of tenders. Season with salt and pepper and italian seasonings. I like to use fresh herbs that I grow on my balcony. In a dutch oven, add olive oil until heated. Add chicken until white but, not entirely cooked. Add garlic, onions and peppers. Heat through. Deglaze pan with balsamic. After it sizzles, add diced tomatoes. Stir well.

Place in oven on 300 degrees covered tightly for 30 minutes. 
Add eggplant and zucchini. Bake 10 more minutes. Turn off heat. 
Add peas and warm in oven while pasta is being prepared. 

Prepare whole grain pasta. I use 1/3 of the box for 4 people. 
Drain pasta after it's done and dump into dutch oven until it's well coated. Season again with salt and pepper. 

Double Glaze Directions
In a separate pan, melt butter with 1 tsp of olive oil. Add smashed garlic clove and additional balsamic vinegar. Heat until sizzle. Turn off and spoon additional glaze over pasta. 



This is so darn good I licked the pot. And! You can use less pasta and more veggies or customize it any way you want. It's pretty low calorie if you watch your portions and with the exception of the butter pat, it's all "good fats." Stephen loved it... Great Springy Farmer's Market style meal. 

Yield: 4 servings.

No comments: